About the Philatelic Association of NSW inc. (Philas)
The Philatelic Association of NSW, Inc. (Philas) was established in 1971, and is a non-profit, multicultural association representing over 50 affiliated stamp clubs and societies in New South Wales (NSW).
The Association headquarters, Philas House, occupies three floors at 17 Brisbane Street, Surry Hills (Sydney). Philas House incorporates a large air-conditioned meeting room, philatelic library, workshop, printery and offices.
The primary aims of Philas are
- To generally promote the hobby;
- To encourage prospective and new stamp collectors;
- To support and encourage Youth philately;
- To create opportunities for existing stamp collectors to advance their skills; and
- To provide support for the affiliated clubs and societies.
Philas has three operating sub-groups:
The Philas House Committee, which is responsible for:
- the upkeep and maintenance of its three floors;
- the tri-annual Philas stamp auctions;
- meeting and catering facilities;
- publishing the quarterly journal Philas News;
- and administrative functions
- more information about Philas House Services
The Philatelic Development Council (PDC), which is responsible for:
- promoting philately in NSW;
- organising State and NSW National exhibitions;
- maintaining a panel of State level judges through regular training and refresher courses;
- liaison with Trade Associations; and
- in conjunction with the Philas House Committee, provision of a wide range of services and facilities to the affiliated clubs and societies.
- more information visit the PDC website
The Philas Library Inc.
- maintenance of a well stocked & regularly updated philatelic library; which is
- available to all members of affiliated clubs and societies and is
- open to members of the public, who may use the library for reference purposes but cannot borrow books from it.
- more information visit the Philas Library page.